Thursday 24 May 2012

Finally Socks

Finally, finally, finally, I have got around to knitting socks.

I have seen sock projects everywhere (and Ravelry doesn't help really).  I have read that there is nothing like a hand knit sock for comfort, for durability, for fit, for feel but have never felt the need to turn my hand to this item of clothing.

To be honest, the patterns looked too complicated and beyond my technical ability, (I still think they are!).  I also don't know whether I will like hand knit socks but like I tell my kids, "you will never know if you don't try!"

Anyway, I made a promise at the beginning of this year that I would learn some new techniques in 2012, and in one fell swoop I am managing to tick two of the list - i.e learning how to knit in the round on double pointed needles and learning how to knit socks - Result.

I found the perfect pattern on Ravelry, The Universal Toe Up Sock Formula, which led me to use The Sock Pattern Generator, which did all the Maths for me - all the better!!! I did of course have to do a swatch to get gauge (I think this was my first swatch - I'm feeling more like a professional knitter everyday 😊)!

I counted 9 stitches to an inch, plugged it into the Sock Pattern Generator, got the require cast on stitches and away I went. It was going good, I got to halfway up my foot, when I decided to try it on - DISASTER, way too big - oh my days!! Actually it would have been alright if I had been Big Foot but, Big Foot, I certainly ain't!!

So I had to re-swatch and recount - stupid me, counted wrong - 8 stitches to an inch (counted about 3 times just to make sure - definitely 8 stitches. I casted on again the required number of stitches, as per the Sock Pattern Generator and also this time I used Judy's Magic Cast On, couldn't be bothered with the crocheted provisional cast on, (plus the scrap yarn got tangled up in the original sock stitches and took forever to take out - that's another story!!!)

Anyway, second time around I am very happy and quite enjoying the process. This is where I got to so far:




Now I do hope that I don't get second sock syndrome and that I do actually wear these socks when they are done but if not, at least I can say that I have knitted socks and tick that off my To Do List.

For more work in progresses, check out Tami's Amis blog.

Until later......

- Cheerio

3 comments:

  1. Woot Woot - your post could have been written by me word for word. One of my goals for this year is to knit socks too.
    Love what you have done so far and I am sure you will wear them as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm banking on wearing them, although having said that my daughter keeps telling me to try them on her, is this a sign?

      Delete
  2. I thought I'd never knit socks... and now I almost don't want to knit anything else (almost).

    Yours look great! Very cheery.

    ReplyDelete