Saturday 9 April 2011

Secret Project Is Now Finished..!!

I had promised to knit my friend something about 2 years ago but I knew that given my track record of rarely completing projects within a relatively short period (and I am putting that mildly - as my 7 Year Throw will attest to), she wasn't expecting something for at least 3-4 years.

Well anyway at the end of last year, I decided I was going to knit her a Throw in time for her birthday on the 1st April.  So I took my daughter off to Hobbycraft (as you do), to choose some wool, she chose the colours and I paid. Realised I would need to knit in a slightly bigger needle than my usual 4mm if I wanted to finish on time (decided on 5mm...well!!).   I then found a pattern I liked (Bernat's Handicrafter Cotton Colours Stripe Throw (Free Pattern) - realised I needed another colour so went back to Hobbycraft and got some Goldy/yellowy yarn.  Now I was ready to begin.

On the 1st January 2011, I casted on and began to knit.  Everyone was sworn to secrecy, this was my most secret project (I had to hide anything remotely associated with it, anytime my friend visited - it was a nightmare..!!)  All was going good until about a third of the way through, I got cold feet over the colours, especially the goldy/yellow.


However, my daughter convinced me that my friend would love the colours and as I didn't have time to frog it ( I was determined to finish on time), I continued.  Thank God I did, I began to fall in love with it, the more I knitted.......so much so, that I decided to add a couple of personal touches, such as the crocheted edges and the knitted flower petals:


So I finished bang on time...well a couple of days early...and more importantly, my friend loves it!!   Although she did say..."About Time..." (cheek).

No comments:

Post a Comment